Re: US Defense Department formally adopts IPv6

Reading the document the gist of the argument appears to be 'there is no
real technical difference between the protocols that is significant enough
to decide the issue, but OSI is what everyone else is planning to use'.

So actually I would say it was the opposite of the ADA situation, quite
likely given the date even an attempt not to make the ADA mistake a second
time (ADA was a train wreck predicted long in advance).

OSI came far closer to succeeding despite the problems in the design than
many here appear to want to admit. Without classless addresses the IPv4
space would have run out in 1992. It is ironic that X.500 is one of the few
parts of the stack left, if X.500 had ever worked we might all be speaking
ASN.1...

                Phill