Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department formally adopts IPv6)

2003-06-17 02:39:25
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 21:39:03 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

There isn't going to be a great transition to IPv6 in the sense that
you seem to mean.  IPv4 and IPv6 will coexist for a long time.

Yes, but I am afraid that underestimates the overhead of running
dual stack.

o address administration (dns, number plans, firewall rules, etc)
  has to be done twice
o network management systems have to monitor both protocols
o when there is a problem, you first have to figure out if it
  is v4 or v6 related
o new services (software/hardware) have to be setup and tested for
  both protocols

To be clear, I do think dual stack is the best strategy for the
present early stage of _transition_.

        rvdp