Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department formally adopts IPv6)

2003-06-17 08:37:05
On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 08:05:23 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

I see it as a transition also.  But I think there will be a long period
in which v6 is used mostly for new things, and only when v6 is more
ubiquitious than v4 will we see some of the core services migrate.

There is a big difference between planning/engineering for a transition
and planning/engineering for a coexistance. There seem to be forces
trying to steer to the latter. Seems like an important question. Why
would we want an internet with two protocols with the same functionality
running in parallel? Should that be the goal?

        rvdp