Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-17 09:11:45
I think a transition is possible but only if people stop sitting arround
waiting for it to happen.

The key in my view is to work on the NAT vendors, instead of viewing NAT
boxes as an obstacle they should be seen for what they really are, an
essential and important part of the internet infrastructure.

Simply repeating the end to end dogma is not going to provide a solution.
The internet people are using is not end to end. NAT boxes and firewalls
play an important and necessary security role.

We need a standard for a superNAT box that provides both security and
protocol bridging functions.

There is no reason this transition cannot be made seamless from the enduser
pint of view.

Phill