NAT box spec? (RE: myth of the great transition)

2003-06-17 23:08:37

--On tirsdag, juni 17, 2003 19:33:24 -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:51  AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

> The key in my view is to work on the NAT vendors, instead
of viewing
> NAT
> boxes as an obstacle they should be seen for what they
really are, an
> essential and important part of the internet infrastructure.

you obviously don't write applications.

No, because I design and use applications I really wish that the IETF
had designed a decent NAT box spec rather than adopting the ostrich
position.

Phil,

at the risk of feeding into a long-burning flamewar:
when you say "a decent NAT box spec", what do you think of?

As far as I can tell, a NAT box contains, over and above what it does because it's a router, a firewall or any other thing it might do:

- Address translation
- Application layer gatewaying
- Remote control of the NAT functionality (already being worked on in MIDCOM)

So what did you want a "decent NAT box spec" to say?

               Harald, genuinely curious