Re: concerning draft-josefsson-dns-url-08.txt

2003-06-26 13:24:11
Paul Vixie wrote:
PQ: the url scheme does not allow the RD bit to be set.

The draft says "A DNS URI designates a DNS resource record set ... by
domain name, type, class and server.".  That is, it identifies a location
within the abstract domain name space, a location which may contain
an RRset.  The setting of the RD bit doesn't affect which RRset is
designated; all it can affect is whether a query succeeds in returning
the requested RRset.  Nothing in the DNS URI so far refers to a specific
query mechanism, and indeed I can see reasonable uses for the URI form
that don't involve making any queries, via the DNS protocol or otherwise.

In summary, adding control of the RD bit would turn the DNS URI into
something else, something that I don't think it should be.

I see a couple of editorial nits, quite separate from the above:

0. The ABNF for <dnsqueryelement> uses "|" instead of "/" characters to
separate branches.

1. The grammar allows <dnsname> to be zero-length.

-zefram
--
Andrew Main (Zefram) <zefram(_at_)fyssh(_dot_)org>