Re: concerning draft-josefsson-dns-url-08.txt

2003-06-26 16:21:43
PQ: the url scheme does not allow the RD bit to be set.

The draft says "A DNS URI designates a DNS resource record set ... by
domain name, type, class and server.".  That is, it identifies a location
within the abstract domain name space, a location which may contain
an RRset.

this statement would only be an answer to my concern if there were no way
to direct the query to a particular server using the "hostport" syntax.  if
we're going to give the URL syntax a way to designate a server other than
the one which is authoritatively responsible for the data, or a local caching
resolver (also called a "recursive nameserver"), then we need to be able to
set the RD bit.  personally, i like your answer better, but to reach that
answer we would have to remove the "hostport" syntax from the proposal.
--
Paul Vixie