the end-to-end name problem

2003-07-02 17:04:58
Hi,

End is an overloaded word. Overloaded words are great for politicians and poets because they can means so many different things. Some overloaded words (with many definitions) are spring (13), start (21), home (19), box (13), point (37), sign (18), hard (21), ... [0]

I think there's a problem with the name "end-to-end". End is a word with a lot of definitions: for example wordnet [1] lists 14 senses for the noun end and 4 more for the verb. Indeed, we must walk down to the 5th definition before we come to the one that is relevant. [2]

1. end -- (either extremity of something that has length; "the end of the pier"; "she knotted the end of the thread"; "they rode to the end of the line") 2. end, ending -- (the point in time at which something ends; "the end of the year"; "the ending of warranty period") 3. end, last, final stage -- (the concluding parts of an event or occurrence; "the end was exciting"; "I had to miss the last of the movie") 4. goal, end -- (the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it; "the ends justify the means") 5. end -- (a final part or section; "we have given it at the end of the section since it involves the calculus"; "Start at the beginning and go on until you come to the end")

We all know what the end-to-end principle means. It's (reportedly) THE guiding principle of the IETF, and THE guiding principle of IETF design decisions. The problem I am trying to demonstrate with this dictionary analysis, is that average non-indoctrinated person needs to travel a long way from the simple word "end" in order to get to the definition that the IETF actually means.

Semantics, at its worst, is something that can be argued about endlessly and pointlessly. But, I'm sure that many people in the IETF spend at least some time introducing the CONCEPT of end-to-end networking to novices. Novices, who know english but not the internet, may be confused.

One alternative, used is "edge networking" and edge has much fewer definitions (only 6 for the noun) and the very FIRST one is the relevant one. [3]

1. edge, border -- (the boundary of a surface)

simon

[0] Counts are from WordNet [1]
[1] http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/
[2] http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn1.7.1?word=end&stage=1