Re: the end-to-end name problem

2003-07-02 23:02:12
Quite so Keith! -- We have found something to agree on;-)...

End-to-Endness does not alone define the Internet.

I expect we could safely say that TCP/IP is an End-to-End protocol pair, and
though it is a critical part of the Internet, it is not "The Internet".

Fully describing the Internet requires much more sophisticated mathematical
logic than simply declaring that it employs End-to-Endness, even though
some of its parts do exhibit end-to-endness which is put to good use to make
The Whole Internet work as it does.

So, we must not do away with End-to-Endness where it is used, or ignore all
the rest of what makes the Internet what it is.

Cheers...\Stef