Re: the end-to-end name problem

2003-07-03 12:57:51

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 01:54  AM, Einar Stefferud wrote:

I expect we could safely say that TCP/IP is an End-to-End protocol pair, and
though it is a critical part of the Internet, it is not "The Internet".

It isn't? Then what is "the internet" ?

There are at least two other network arguments that can be made to support the end-to-end principle (and potentially rename it)

The network effect - whether it's Metcalfe's law, or Reed's law, or otherwise. The network effect, I think, is real. We can say that the network effect reinforces the upwards scaling of any network, by delivering much better than linear payback. Thus, it can be argued that the IDEAL network, is a network that scales upwards as quickly as possible, for as long as possible. Now, we can compose an argument that the most scalable network, is an end-to-end network, because it contains the simplest network core, and thus the most easy to scale network core. If that argument is valid, then we can say that the network effect supports the end-to-end principle.

The neutral network argument - this is an argument that I have seen much more from the side of economics and law. I have seen the term used in relation to the internet by Lawrence Lessig [1]. Network neutrality argues that a network should be unbiased to any particular USER or USE. This would again lead to a principle network simplicity, since any kind of complexity would either (a) indicate an effort to control the network internals or (b) allow operators to impose greater control by taking advantage of the complexity.

Fully describing the Internet requires much more sophisticated mathematical
logic than simply declaring that it employs End-to-Endness, even though
some of its parts do exhibit end-to-endness which is put to good use to make
The Whole Internet work as it does.

Perhaps the neutral network arguments in economics would help.

simon

So, we must not do away with End-to-Endness where it is used, or ignore all
the rest of what makes the Internet what it is.

Cheers...\Stef