Re: The requirements cycle (Re: WG review: Layer 2 Virtual....)

2003-07-03 11:28:54

Harald> did  any of  the technologies  change  because of  issues that  were
Harald> discovered  in  the discussions  that  were  needed  to clarify  the
Harald> requirements and framework?

No.

Harald> If no - why did it take any time at all to produce them?

Not sure what you mean, it always  takes time to produce a document, even if
the document is just a "rock fetch".

Harald> there is  little that  the IESG can  do when  the WG knows  what the
Harald> comments are and chooses not to act upon them for 2-5 months.

This reminds me  of Dilbert's pointy-haired boss, who  says "your project is
late,  so I  want  you to  give me  hourly  status reports."   When we  have
documents which aren't really necessary in the first place, which ultimately
will not  have any impact on the  technology, but which need  to be massaged
and remassaged  so as to get  them past the  IESG, I think it's  quite clear
where the responsibility for the delay is coming from.

Harald> And  I don't  understand why  WG updates  to fix  problems  take 2-3
Harald> months  per cycle  when  the WG  thinks  that it's  important to  be
Harald> finished with the docs.

Well, each  objection from  the IESG  needs to be  discussed and  a response
crafted.

Harald> is  the IESG  supposed  to care  about  inconsistencies between  the
Harald> requirements (which  are what the  *WG* thinks should  be satisfied)
Harald> and the technologies that will be proposed for standardization?

Sure; but the reqs,  framework, protocol specs, and applicability statements
were all  ready 18 months ago.  They  could have been submitted  as a group.
But we were told, "first you need  to submit the first document, then a year
or so  later you can  submit the  second".  This is  a very peculiar  way to
encourage progress  ;-) From the WG  perspective, the specs  have been ready
for review  forever, but  the IESG has  refused to  look at them  because of
bogus process issues.  And then they turn around and accuse the WG of making
slow progress!