Re: Critique vs Criticism - Plenary comments

2003-07-21 12:47:49
Soliman Hesham <H(_dot_)Soliman(_at_)flarion(_dot_)com> writes:

 > I think what some people missed was the ability to buy food
 > or coffee between
 > the afternoon and evening session.  I don't quite understand
 > why the bar that
 > served food and drink and lunchtime was shut in the evening
 > break.   But
 > that encouraged exploration :)  With the U1 line you had
 > time to get to a
 > restaurant and back in the break.   But for the "all in one"
 > people who like
 > the SFO or Minneapolis style hotel it's less well suited.

=> You're being very kind to Minneapolis to compare it with
Vienna ! The fact that some people prefer that to Vienna
shocks me, but anyway, I guess they'll enjoy the next meeting.
Have we finished complaining about one of the most
beautiful cities in the world yet (because it didn't
have enough power plugs....sigh)?

I think what's going on here is that there is a disconect between
two groups of people: people who think of the IETF as a combination
work/vacation opportunity and people who think of the IETF as
purely for work. If you're part of the former group, the general
attractiveness of the venue makes a difference. If the second,
all that matters is that things be convenience.

Myself, I'm part of the second group. I flew in on Sunday and out
on Friday and was in meetings almost the whole time, so whether
Vienna is beautiful or not is basically irrelevant to me.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com]
                http://www.rtfm.com/