Re: WG Review: Centralized Conferencing (xcon)

2003-08-22 14:30:41

--On 22. august 2003 13:34 -0700 Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Harald,

HTA> and should make no assumptions on
HTA> whether the trust is rooted in Verisign or psg.com, or is brokered
through HTA> a mechanism that doesn't need a single root for its trust
mechanism.

HTA> If "centralized conference control" doesn't mean that anyone with the
HTA> required resources can be a center, I think we're on a very wrong
path.

The style of protocol needed for a single, centralized control
mechanism, versus a distributed and cooperative control mechanism,
typically is quite different.

The obvious example would be centralized dns control -- as we now have
for each node in the tree -- versus efforts to create multiple
authorities for any given node, such as the root.

Did you have in mind a way to reconcile this?

no, I was responding to Henry Sinnreich's comment on "who will operate the centralized functions" only. I thought it was obvious from xcon's charter that "multiple authority for a single conference" conference management is out of scope, and I'm still talking about xcon.

                       Harald