Re: WG Review: Centralized Conferencing (xcon)

2003-08-25 14:11:12
On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 04:00 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
Are not service providers and network
managers the people supposed to bring these services into operation?

I certainly don't share that assumption.  Then again, I don't share the
assumption that any central coordinating authority is needed to set up
conferencing services.

What do you mean by central coordinating authority? A big service provider, or *any* point of control?

I am certainly interested in hearing requirements from the large operators, but not to the exclusion of requirements for on my own equipment, local, or community-hosted conference services.

XCON was envisioned as a way to handle "tightly-coupled conferences" with a central point of control. However, there is no reason this central point of control has to be hosted by a service provider. It could be running in your phone or IM client for example.

I believe loosely-coupled conferences bring problems with a very different timeline, and I do not wish to bog down XCON with these problems. Indeed, I believe that much of the interest at the XCON BOF was because we weren't trying to boil the ocean.

thanks,
-rohan