RE: WG Review: Centralized Conferencing (xcon)

2003-08-22 10:10:03

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Henry Sinnreich wrote:

I certainly don't share that assumption.  Then again, I don't share the
assumption that any central coordinating authority is needed to set up
conferencing services.

This is an interesting point. The XCON WG is about _Centralized_
conferencing platforms. Who does operate such centralized systems?

It seems to me that the issue isn't whether a conferencing service could
be setup without a central authority but rather if when there is a need
for central control, what are the protocols used to coordinate with the
controlling authority. I believe there is a need for both forms of
organization:
  a.  Distributed control
  b.  Centralized control

WebEx and Placeware (now owned by MS) are examples of centralized systems
which currently exist.

Dave Morris