Re: [Fwd: Emerging Network Usage and Engineering Issues]

2003-08-26 06:11:12
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:20:11 PDT, NM Research
<nm_research(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>  said:

Ofcourse I know about EMP.  But what I mean is this, all international credit
cards, bank transfers, insurance, commerce deals etc. are supported,
initiated,
terminated or developed in a city in USA.    Even if you want to make a bank
transfer from one street to another in Kenya, you go through the USA/ that
city.
Do you get the picture??

Given that there isn't any *single* city that has *all* the banks - offhand, I
can think of Boston, NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco as having large financial
districts, it would take multiple hits. Presumably, most of the larger banks
have some sort of off-site disaster recovery plans.

I posit that if enough nukes go off to take out enough banks to matter, the
question of whether the net is moving bits will be of secondary importance.  I
know I'm going to be busy getting my children to someplace the fallout isn't.

And at that point, an OC12 isn't going to matter as much as a box of rifle
ammunition.