Re: A modest proposal - allow the ID repository to hold xml

2003-09-04 15:53:54
On 9/4/03 at 12:20 PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:

This week we've heard complaints that pagination and line-breaking in the .txt RFCs is rigid, as if that were a bug instead of a vital feature.

Consider the problem of answering the question "Is the RFC on my screen or printer the same as your document? Was either version edited by someone or something?"

So when I read an RFC on my Palm and all of the line breaks are in different places, or when Sam Hartman listens to an RFC with a text-to-speech engine, the fact that it is not the "same" as your document (for your implied values of "same") is seen as a "vital feature" and not a bug? I'm sorry, Vern, but this argument is utter nonsense. Though I do oppose immediately converting the RFC archive to XML for all sorts of reasons, the fact that a markup language allows you to output identical content in different formats is not one of those reasons.

*If* a restricted form of XML (or any markup language) could be shown to reliably preserve semantic content of a standard (and pagination and line-breaks should never be a part of semantic content) but could produce output for different environments, I'd consider that a big feature. The problem is that it will take some serious work to get an appropriately restricted form of such a markup language to make it reasonable as the canonical form of standards documents. But I think this small step of making XML available in the I-Ds is a good thing for other reasons and might give us enough info to tell whether XML would be viable in the long run for RFCs.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102