Re: You Might Be An Anti-Spam Kook If ...

2003-09-08 09:30:31
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:38:03 +0800, Shelby Moore said:

Imagine if we engineered all things in real life by first expending effort
publishing all the ways not to engineer them.

Umm.. We don't.  The first documented spam was sent over 25 years ago,
and you tuned in late.

How to design a bridge:

1) Build one out of dirt.  Realize that's a dam not a bridge, when it washes
away.  Make a note of it.

2) Build one out of rocks.  Find out the hard way that it works better if you
use mortar too.  Make a note of it.

3) Build one out of rocks and mortar.  Find out the hard way that setting the
piers on mud causes washouts.  Make a note of it.

4) Build one out of rocks and mortar, and set the piers on good solid rock.
Find out the hard way (multiple times) about how thick it has to be to support
a given load.  Make a note of it.

5) Discover the hard way about resonance effects.  Post a sign for the
marching troops and make a note of it.

6) Bundle up your notes and publish the Civil Engineering Handbook, First
Edition.

7) Discover that wood makes OK bridges too, make lots of notes about strength,
insect prevention, and the like.  Publish the Second Edition.

8) Discover metal.  Make notes about fatigue and rust.  Publish Third Edition.

We can't help you if you think that we sat down and wrote the Third Edition
before doing anything else.  And we *really* can't help you if we hand you a
copy of the Third Edition, and you insist on trying to build a bridge in a way
that we pointed out on page 37 *just won't work*.