POP3 has no EHLO! (yup). There is no POP4

2003-09-09 06:19:06

John K said:
EHLO?  On POP3???

Whoops. Your right. How is anything supposed to extend POP3 then? No Way I
guess?

I suppose that's why its frozen in function. Quite sufficient... but not
very extensible, well behaved... close to universal acceptance. Just missing
a few features.

Allthough there are references to IMAP as POP4, there doesn't seem to be a
movement to improve POP. There are some compatible obvious things it might
do better. One that occurs to me is to have a last ditch SPAM hook of some
kind to plumb in a process to evaluate "grade" messages. Maybe even
authenticate them; (or apply site crypto. Not very strong really).

Seems like at first glance SMTP is where you would add functionality, but
changing that is harder than POP becuase your farther away from DNS
management / policies.

Hmmm I wonder if there is some cool POP4 thinking around. Might be fun to
write a POPX compatible program.

Is TLS completely successfull is practice?

regs
Dan