Re: POP3 has no EHLO! (yup). There is no POP4

2003-09-09 08:21:19
On 9/9/03 at 9:09 AM -0400, Dan Kolis wrote:

How is anything supposed to extend POP3 then? No Way I guess?

RFC 2449: POP3 Extension Mechanism.

One that occurs to me is to have a last ditch SPAM hook of some kind to plumb in a process to evaluate "grade" messages.

This is either an SMTP mechanism or a local storage mechanism. I don't see where in the POP download process you would put this.

Maybe even authenticate them; (or apply site crypto. Not very strong really).

POP already has authentication (RFC 1734) and TLS (RFC 2595), but I don't think that's what you're talking about. I don't see how crypto or authentication apply to spam in the context of POP here.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated