Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your Misspelling Are Belong To Us]

2003-09-16 04:06:24
On dinsdag, sep 16, 2003, at 12:25 Europe/Amsterdam, Karl Auerbach wrote:

1. Via ICANN, instruct Verisign to remove the wildcard.

It isn't clear that this power is vested in ICANN. There is a complicated arrangement of Cooperative Agreements, MOUs, CRADAs, and Purchase Orders
that exist between various agencies of the US Department of Commerce
(including NTIA, NIST, and others) and ICANN and Verisign/NSI.

This web of agreements is sufficiently complicated that often really isn't
exactly clear who can compel Verisign/NSI on any particular point.  In
fact it may well be that the power may not exist. Or it may take a lot of
legal dollars and time to press the issue.

I think the ICANN has no choice and has to show its teeth here, or just roll over and die because there no longer is a reason for its existence.

On a related note: so far I have never bothered to move my domains to a competing registrar before, but now seems a good time to do it. Can anyone recommend a procedure for select a good quality registrar? (Off-list if this is more appropriate.)