Re: Trouble Interpreting RFC 2142

2003-10-01 19:11:50
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:08:22 BST, Sabahattin Gucukoglu
<mail(_at_)sabahattin-gucukoglu(_dot_)com>  said:

Great.  So, while I'm not prevented from inventing fab new mailboxes for
the same or even more services, business roles, etc., I'm at least
tentatively asked to support the listed mailboxes for services I run, with
the implicitly understood exception that all services for which mailboxes
are mandated in their respective standards must be available regardless.
Right?

Right.  You need Postmaster, and then section 3 says that you should have
INFO, MARKETING, SALES, and SUPPORT if appropriate.  Somehow, I
don't see my domain not having a SALES mailbox as being a grave offense. ;)

Then, part of the Rationale says:

"However, if a given service is offerred, then the associated mailbox
name(es) must be supported, resulting in delivery to a recipient
appropriate for the referenced service or
role."

Okay, I'm confused at this point.  I must support at least the addresses
for services running at my domain, in contradiction to the mere
encouragement we were getting earlier.

You need the appropriate ones from section 3.  Then you need to have
ABUSE, NOC, and SECURITY from section 4.  Then for each service
in 5, you need the mailbox *if* you run that service.  You need
Postmaster.  If you do your own DNS, you need Hostmaster.
If you have a webserver, you need Webmaster, and so on.  If you
don't have an FTP server, you don't need an FTP mailbox.

I read it as saying "We suggest you have aliases from section 3 for
appropriate business units, and the service-oriented ones from section
5 are mandatory if you run that service".  So if you have a sales
division, a mailbox called 'sales' is suggested, but if you have a
webserver, you *have* to have a 'webmaster' mailbox.