Re: Persistent applications-level identifiers, the DNS, and RFC 2428

2003-10-01 18:46:29

--On Thursday, 02 October, 2003 09:55 +0859 Masataka Ohta <mohta(_at_)necom830(_dot_)hpcl(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp> wrote:

John;

I just had occasion to look again at RFC 2428, "FTP
Extensions  for IPv6 and NATs",

Please consider this a fairly narrow question.

I'm afraid that your question is still too broad.

Are you asking the question for IPv6 or for NATs?

I am asking the question about FTP, about a piece of syntax in the protocol, and about the options that syntax permits. If the addresses and address references that syntax nor permits are suitable for a particular situation, then one should use them. I am asking only about why we haven't structured that syntax so that use of a DNS name --or some other sort of name if/when it can be defined-- is possible if it turns out to be appropriate.

    john