RE: Persistent applications-level identifiers, the DNS, and RFC 2428

2003-10-02 11:10:58

--On Thursday, 02 October, 2003 10:31 -0700 Michel Py <michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us> wrote:

John,

John C Klensin wrote:
My ambitious in raising these questions are _very_ limited
and, in particular, I don't see this as a back door to
solving the non-DNS, topology-independent, persistent
identifier problem. (It seems to me that needs to be solved
through the front door, or not at all.).

I'm with you here. So, we know we need something more
universal, but in the meantime we band-aid FTP to keep going.
Because of its special status and the fact that it is
widespread, FTP might justify doing the work for only one
protocol. It is clear that to be worthy of the effort, this
should be deployed way before a persistent identifier solution
is rolled out though.
As long as I'm not the one doing the work I don't have a
problem with it :-D

However, I do have a concern: when later a generic identifier
mechanism is deployed, we will have two standards. Have you
had any thoughts on the possible collisions there?

My goal is precisely to avoid ending up with either two standards or eight verbs. Explanation of the latter:

     IPv4      IPv6 & self-referent  DNS    StableID
    address       address

RFC    959           2428           ???        ???
Verb  PORT,PASV    EPRT,EPSV     ?DPRT,DPSV? ?IPRT,IPSV?

That seems to me excessive, if we can avoid it. So the suggestion is whether, given that 2428 is at Proposed, maybe it would be worth revising it, and the syntax for EPRT and EPSV, to _permit_ use of a DNS name now and to provide a clear extension path for a generic/stable identifier.

Too many DNS implementations are still having to support the "X" forms of the directory changing and modifying commands, and it has been a very long time. All of them will need to support, esentially forever, PORT and PASV. Ending up with eight verbs seems to me to be poor architecture, worse interface design, and a magnet for poor implementations.