Re: Persistent applications-level identifiers, the DNS, and RFC 2428

2003-10-02 11:10:58
Masataka Ohta writes:
John;
I am asking the question about FTP, about a piece of syntax in
the protocol, and about the options that syntax permits.

For what purpose?

I am asking only about why we haven't structured that syntax

Seemingly because there was no reason to have one.

If you think you now have a reason, you should state it.

If you don't, we can debate forever on infinite variations of
reasons and associated extensions.

For example, how about extending FTP to be able to treat
realtime stream? It is a question about FTP, about a piece
of syntax (MODE/STRU commands) in the protocol, and about
the options that syntax permits.

I'm with Masataka here... I'm completely confused
as to what the problem is here. And in particular,
why another rendezvous protocol like, oh say, SIP
wouldn't suffer from the same set of problems --
which obviously already does have that realtime
stream rendezvous capability :)

                  Mike