Re: Appeal to the IAB on the site-local issue

2003-10-10 08:07:08

- I don't see anything in our documented processes that requires a
  greater degree of consensus to change an existing specification.
  Rather I see an expectation built into our process that undesirable
  or unworkable features will be removed as a standard progresses from
  proposed to draft to full standard.

- I can understand a belief that 3/4 majority is on the rough edge of rough
  consensus.  But even assuming that rough consensus requires a greater
  plurality, there was certainly a sufficient demonstration of opinion
  that any revision to existing specifications that did include site local
  was unlikely to gain consensus and that trying to fix site-local was
  not a useful expenditure of the WG's energy.  And there was also growing
  evidence that we had not found a workable way to use site local, which would
  by itself be sufficient to bar site-local from advancing in grade along
  with the rest of IPv6.  So even accepting that there was something less than
  consensus in the WG's decision, in some sense it's a moot point.  Site-local
  was a dead end anyway, both politically and technically.