Re: Removing features

2003-10-10 14:58:11
On vrijdag, okt 10, 2003, at 21:55 Europe/Amsterdam, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

the biggest basis for removing the feature is the fact that
RFC1918 contains essentially the same provision for IPv4, and 1918 addresses are continually leaking like sieves, and nobody (to my knowledge) was able to point at magic router filter dust that would prevent it from happening on IPv6.

So the basic concept is (in my opinion) broken and needs to be euthanized.

This is based on the assumption that leaking RFC 1918 routing information or packets with RFC 1918 source or destination addresses is actually harmful in and of itself. This is a broken assumption. If people are going to send bogus routes or packets, then having RFC 1918 addresses in them is the least harmful way to do it. Now obviously people shouldn't send out bogus routes or packets, but this is a problem that is completely unrelated to private addressing issues. It's just that private addresses make this problem much more visible. Removing that which is clearly wrong only helps to make sure the wrongness that remains is less visible.

And if you're unable to figure out how to filter private addresses in routing updates or IP traffic, there are numerous non-magical books out there that will tell you how to do this.

outright. Deprecation doesn't prevent people from using them, but outright
removal can be dangerous. And in this case, the assertion that one can
still use the address prefix in a local manner is simply incorrect; it can be assigned at the whim of IANA, and network administrations need to plan
accordingly.

And in fact, we've seen this effect in operation recently, when the 69/8 address
space was allocated but often unreachable due to bogon filters....

All in all, however, I think outright removal, although short-term more painful, will be less troublesome than many years of debugging problems caused by
1918-style leakage of addresses for a "deprecated" feature.

Your argument is self-defeating. If we were to recycle FEC0::/10 this would be the 69.0.0.0/8 but ten times worse. Everybody knew that 69.0.0.0/8 would be assigned at some point, so the people filtering this range knew what they were doing (or at least, they should have). FEC0::/10 on the other hand has been in the specification as a fixed special purpose range for a lot of years, and presumably people have implemented their networks accordingly. Pulling the rug from under them by removing this address range from the spefication and (at least theoretically) allowing it to be reassigned for a different purpose is insane.

And that's not even considering the lack of alternatives at this point in time. We may not be able to come up with a reasonable way for networks that implement site local addressing and interconnect with other networks that do the same, but there is still a very real need for addresses that can be used in disconnected IPv6 networks. I believe that forcing people who just want to interconnect a few boxes to do some testing to obtain globally routable IPv6 unicast space is a very bad idea. As long as there aren't any alternatives, FEC0::/10 should be used for this. And even after we have alternatives, FEC0::/10 should forever be set aside to avoid problems.

<mime-attachment>

Huh?

Iljitsch van Beijnum