Re: accusations of cluelessness

2003-10-11 15:18:55
Tell you what.  If you can convince the RIRs that it's feasible to relax the
allocation criteria for IPv4 blocks, and you can convince the ISPs to make
address blocks available to their customers at reasonable prices, I'll happily
co-author one or more drafts that explain:

- why in hindsight RFC 1918 was a bad idea
- why new sites should use global addresses rather than private addresses
- why sites currently using private addresses should consider migrating
  to global addresses
- techniques for minimizing the pain of renumbering in IPv4, and
- alternate techniques for providing a similar degree of security to
  that obtained with private addresses

(I say "co-author" because this is a LOT of ground to cover.  Even if I could
write it all myself, I doubt that I could defend it all against the various
attacks it would draw from many quarters.)

But last I knew, there were several technical hurdles associated with doing
this - a perceived scarcity of addresses, route flapping, widespread use of
IP addresses in various kinds of configuration files (making renumbering more
difficult), and widespread "conventional wisdom" (supported by marketing BS)
that NATs and private addresses are a Good Thing.

Keith