Re: Let the market be judge (Re: accusations of cluelessness)

2003-10-12 20:08:06
These days, a lot of people seem to be arguing that IETF shouldn't do
engineering.

What I think exists is a difference of opinion about what the
definition of engineering is.

another way to put it is - after ~17 years of IETF, we need to start
defining what "Internet Engineering" means.

Another well-known institution seems also to be stuggling with this same
question:

"....*where numbers count for everything and hunches are scorned...."

ignoring hunches didn't cause the demise of Challenger and Columbia.
ignoring hard data did.  of course, paying attention to intuition might
be useful in those inevitable (hopefully rare) cases where you do ignore
hard data.