Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission

2003-10-15 08:14:17
It's an interesting document, but it looks to me a bit much
like a problem description and I'm not sure how it relates
to other existing work (the problem description document in
the problem working group, most obviously).  I particularly
liked the discussion of the IETF mission - it could provide
the basis for tackling one problem that's been raised on
a number of occasions, which is that the organization doesn't
have a clear sense of mission or vision.  Even though in the
first paragraph of the "Social Dynamics" section you say that
"As they are neither good nor bad, it is not appropriate to
call them "problems;" rather think of them as social forces
and dynamics" a number of them really are framed as problems.
Indeed, it would be hard to define some way in which statements like
"making integration more difficult" are not problem statements.

I'd really like to see the document, which I think has good
fundamentals, refocused on mission and goals.

Melinda