Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission

2003-10-15 10:06:26

"The purpose of  the IETF is to create high  quality, relevant, and timely
standards for the Internet."

It is important that this is "For the Internet," and does not include
everything that happens to use IP.  IP is being used in a myriad of
real-world applications, such as controlling street lights, but the
IETF does not standardize those applications.

Well, let's test this assertion.  Suppose a consortium of electric companies
develops a UDP-based protocol  for monitoring and controlling street lights.
It turns  out that  this protocol generates  an unbounded amount  of traffic
(say,  proportional to  the square  of the  number of  street lights  in the
world), has no  congestion control, and no security, but  is expected to run
over the Internet.

According to you, this has nothing to  do with the IETF.  It might result in
the congestive collapse of the Internet,  but who cares, the IETF doesn't do
street  lights.  I would  like  to see  the  criteria  which determine  that
telephones belong on the Internet but street lights don't!

Another problem  with your  formulation is that  the Internet is  a growing,
changing, entity,  so "for the Internet"  often means "for what  I think the
Internet  should  be  in  a  few  years", and  this  is  then  a  completely
unobjective criterion.  One  would hope instead that the  IETF would want to
encourage competition between different  views of Internet evolution, as the
competition of ideas is the way to make progress.

I also do not understand whether "for the Internet" means something different
than "for IP networking" or not.

I think  it should  also be part  of the  mission to produce  standards that
facilitate the migration to IP  of applications and infrastructures that use
legacy networking  technologies.  Such  migration seems to  be good  for the
Internet, but I don't know if it is "for the Internet" or not.