Re: IETF mission boundaries (Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission )

2003-10-17 09:11:06
Scoping is certainly used successfully as an argument at the WG level, through the more common pronnouncement "....that would require a change to the charter.." Scoping aids WGs in being able to move the ball forward in the direction of predfined goals, and hence is a process aid. This is scoping at a micro level. I would think that the role of mission is to provide scoping at a macro level, the kind of scoping that determines whether a WG is established in the first place or not.

More importantly I would suggest, the simple requirement for making binary decisions about whether something is in scope or not is necessary but not sufficient. An institution surely needs some way to guide its priorities as well. So one could for example agree with Eric's definition of what the IETF's mission is, but once that is done, what then guides the priorities of the IETF? I think you will find this to be at the heart of the debate:

scoping=>smaller workload=>focused differentiation in the standards marketplace+better quality output.

Every entity must decide what it is going to do uniquly better than any other entity. This is the purpose of mission. Generic catchall missions do not help entities keep the eye on that particular ball.