Re: IETF mission boundaries

2003-10-17 11:19:18
Vernon,

I'm not much for mission statements either. But it's easy to fall into a "Dilbert" view of the world, even when such things might actually help.

I think the intent is to derive from some community consensus on goals how to evolve the organization. And we are at a crossroads. Either we pretty much limit our scope to a more confined area, or we need to grow. And growing is painful. It involves changing of responsibilities, delegation, and the like. If a mission statement serves as a point of consensus from which the IETF management can march, I'm all for it, in principle.

Of course, it has to have sufficient substance that one can in fact derive a direction for management of the organization.

Eliot