Re: IESG proposed statement on the IETF mission

2003-10-18 11:14:47
Dean Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, mark seery wrote:

Trust model
=========

Inherent in Eric's problem statement is the notion that end systems have
the ability to impact the experience other Internet users have. Whether
this is the result of an historical trust model, where people using the
Internet were assumed to a) have clue and b) be acting in the best
interests of the community, or whether this is the result of other
community values, this diserves comment/debate, IMHO.

I've noticed that the people who claim to have the most clue, frequently
don't,

"...most imposters are desperate to prove that they are not what they are..." - Katherine Hepburn, Love Story

that said, no one has clue in everything, and in almost any one thing, there is almost always some one with more clue, so this too is relative.

and the people who claim most to be acting in the interests of the
community, aren't.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."  - Samuel Johnson.

that said there is a lot that is instructive about listening to the ghosts from the past. lessons in open processes as an immutable value for example.

Clue has to do with being right, and time always reveals who and what is
right.  It is not always immediately apparent who is right. But the one
with the "clue" will be shown to have been right later on

But the assasination has usually taken place by then. The lesson of almost any complex society is dare to be different, and the gods will exact their revenge. It takes people of courage, stupidty or independent wealth to truly express what they think. That is why secret ballots exist in many democracies - it allows a broader range of non-stupid people to express their opinion (all beit on a narrow decision criteria).

Community has to do with democratic, common interests. It is always
interesting that the people who are most shrill about "the interests
community" often want to exclude most of the community from the decision.

Common interests I agree, which I think is probably the crux of the mission discussion. Whether a "statement" or any other single instrument is sufficient to cross this bridge is fair game for discussion. But undoubtely, IMHO, it is the definition, articulation, and recognition of what the common interest is that is the problem at hand. For example, I don't think IEEE 802.3 have any problems understanding what their common interest is - the propogation of Ethernet technology - with no qualms about the commercial realities of that common interest.

What is the common interest of the IETF? Packets to the people? The propogation and use of IP (including Eric's expression of migrating applications from other technologies)? The refinement and perfection of connectionless networking techology? The development/standardization of technologies that address as many networking problem spaces as possible forming an umbrella under which we can throw many things by calling it the "Internet"?

So yes Dean, I think you elude to the central issue - what is the common interest, and as the community was propelled almost forceably, and inexorably by market forces from a world where as Randy put it "operators cooperated" together, in a non-commercial endeavor based on very non-commercial values, into a very commercial world, did the community ever have a chance to take a big breath, inspect what has happened, and where it really wants to go from here.

Given the seeminly overloaded semantics of "mission" perhaps a statement of "common interest" would indeed be more beneficial.

As for the democratic bit, I have been giving a lot of thought recently to what a democracy is or should be - as such I am not sure what democratic is, so I leave that piece as an exercise to the reader.

Best,......