IETF58 Network - DHCP Leases - ARP Traffic

2003-11-10 16:42:48
We have been seeing a lot of ARP traffic come over the routers, the results of
external scans.  In an effort to reduce the ARP traffic broadcast to the
wireless network, we are decreasing the size of the wireless address space to
clear out unused addresses.  We would then blackhole requests for those
addresses not given out.

In order to expedite the reclamation, we are setting the DHCP lease times to a
low value to help us clear out addresses in the space we would like to
blackhole.  Once we have executed this plan, we expect to put the lease times
back to previous settings.

Thanks to all those who helped come up with this solution and execute, and
especially all those on the NetOps 58Crew.

--Brett