Re: [Fwd: [isdf] need help from the ietf list...can someone post this for me? or allow me to post directly?]

2003-12-20 18:53:10
perhaps the solution is to not use insecure microsoft software.  or
banking systems.

On 21 Dec 2003, Franck Martin wrote:

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Parry Aftab <parry(_at_)aftab(_dot_)com>
To: isdf(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org
Subject: [isdf] need help from the ietf list...can someone post this for
me? or allow me to post directly?
Date: 20 Dec 2003 16:50:33 -0500

We have been experiencing a huge growth in phishing (e-mails designed to
trick people into providing sensitive information (creditcard, account
passwords, etc.) to a spoofed website masquerading as a trusted
financial institutional site.

For example, you receive an e-mail telling you that there has been a
security breach at PayPal, and you need to log into the site and correct
your info, by using the bogus link they provide.

Every time we announce a way to confirm that the site is what it claims
to be (checking the certificate, history bar, etc.) the phishers find a
tech solution to improve their frauds.

Now IE has a bug that allows them to mask the real site more easily, by
showing the spoofed site in the navigation bar.

Do any of the IETF members have suggestions for easy ways of confirming
that the site you just linked to is really the site you wanted to
access?

I am asking in my capacity of the world˘s largest online safety and help
group, WiredSafety.org.

Parry Aftab

Franck Martin
franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/