RE: [Fwd: [isdf] need help from the ietf list...can someone post this for me? or allow me to post directly?]

2003-12-21 17:55:58
People need to rely on their common sense.  This isn't a technical
problem. It is a social engineering problem. Your best bet is to read
Kevin Mitnick's book "The Art of Deception". Of course, there will be
instances were banks will send their customers emails.  But you should
treat those emails with the same degree of caution that you treat other
communications.  People are going to buy things over the net, and they'll
also get emails with links in them.  Not all of those emails are going to
be genuine.  Not all will be fake, either.

The scenario "your account has been hacked, you need to act fast and give
out your confidential finanical information" is never a realistic scenario
for a financial or other institution.  People need to know that when
someone tries to rush them, they need to be suspicious.  The communication
media format used (phone, email, physical presence) doesn't matter.  If
people are savvy enough to know that the person on the phone or at the
door might not really be from the bank, they should be savvy enough to
realize that the email they just got might not really be from the bank
either.  Common sense usually suggests the right answer to a particular
case.  But, some people are going to be duped, anyway.  People are taken
in by "Matchstick Men"  (movie with Nicholas Cage playing a con-artist)
every day.  There is nothing that can be done technically to protect them.

                --Dean