RE: [Fwd: [isdf] need help from the ietf list...can someone post this for me? or allow me to post directly?]

2003-12-22 06:29:06
As a privacy lawyer, I thank you for the recommendation to use lawyers.
:-) But from a consumer's perspective, I wish we could point them to a
few easy ways they can verify authenticity.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Jeffrey Race [mailto:jrace(_at_)attglobal(_dot_)net]
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 10:30 AM
To: Jeffrey Race
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; parry(_at_)aftab(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [isdf] need help from the ietf list...can someone
post this for me? or allow me to post directly?]

You must base your business plan on the fact that your problem has no
solution, technical or otherwise.   Any technical means to restrict
access or identify a host can be defeated by a determined hacker, and
you can be 100% sure that your hackers are more motivated than your
employees.

Even were technical solutions to exist (which they don't), you still
face the implications of Sturgeon's Law
[<http://www.faqs.org/docs/jargon/S/Sturgeon's-Law.html>] that ninety
percent of everything is crap, including human mentality (in my
opinion a low estimate).   Social engineering possibilities are
endless in this environment.

As a business you must take defensive measures against technical
failures and human gullibility.  Probably start with good lawyers
and good contracts, placing all responsibility on the customers.

My (very excellent) little bank in Cambridge Massachusetts has just
written my wife that the checking account database was stolen by
a bank employee so she should inform the credit reporting agencies
of likely identity theft.   You see the problem . . . .

Having some technical knowledge of how secure these systems are, I
have chosen never to use either electronic banking or an ATM card.
The losses from the regularly recurrent frauds against my few credit
cards are entirely borne by the sloppy merchants who tolerate
fraudulent usage.

Jeffrey Race