Re: [isdf] Re: www.internetforce.org

2004-01-09 08:41:22
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:03:19 +0100, jfcm said:

is validated. A market standard is the desciption of what works and is
adopted. We might find this way a fortunate compromise?

Unfortunately, "market standards" often include borken things that are adopted
via forced-feeding.  More than one vendor has done this, and some research
would probably find at least one example at each of the 7 OSI layers.

Current pet peeve - 100BaseT auto-negotiation on older gear, especially when
"the other end" is nailed to something other than auto. (Co-worker's comment on
that one - "Didn't we go through that whole subnet and clean that up twice
already?" :)  So much for market "standards". (Yes, I know it's better now.
The hardware involved is many moons old).