RE: SMTP Minimum Retry Period - Proposal To Modify Mx

2004-01-10 16:25:01

        The law you cited refers only to civil damages resulting from
criminal activity.  In order to press a civil suit under this law, the
defendant would first need to be convicted of criminal activity falling
under (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) of subsection (a)(5)(B), which in turn
requires a violation of (a)(5)(A) which requires unauthorized access to a
protected computer.

        The administrator doing the blocking would be in the clear, since
they are authorized to access this computer (and are in fact authorized to
change this information, even if you disagree with the change.)  The
provider of a blocking list would not have accessed this computer at all,
since they did not make the change.  The desires of the intended recipient
do not matter at all under this law, as they do not own the computer on
which the change was made.

        If something has been done which violates a service agreement, you
can press a civil suit based on that agreement, which falls under contract
law and has nothing at all to do with 18 U.S.C. 1030.

        I am not a lawyer, although I did spend much time doing legal
research for one.  This is actually an extremely simple law, and I can say
with a fair degree of certainty that it does not cover what you think it
does.

        If you need legal advice, talk to a lawyer, you may have a civil
suit if this filtering violates a contract you have with the party in
question.  18 U.S.C. 1030 however, does not apply here.

I hope this was helpful.

-Daniel Pelstring