Re: SMTP Minimum Retry Period - Proposal To Modify Mx

2004-01-10 18:14:28
From: ietf(_at_)flatsurface(_dot_)com (Mike S)

The RBL and DUL are quite clearly (and openly) designed and
intended to be used to implement denial of service. Doing so with
the explicit authorization of the email recipient would be legal.

The MAPS system does not, and cannot, distinguish between spam
email and legitimate, addressee desired email. It is a brute force
system which throws the baby out with the bathwater.

Who but someone incapable of understanding the concept of one person
never wanting to receive any mail or other communications from another
could say something like that?  For the rest of us, it makes perfect
sense to say "I never want to receive any mail from any IP address
owned by Stanford Wallace.  I also never want to receive mail from any
SMTP client using an IP address that has been declared 'dynamic' by
its owner, because that declaration says that its owner cannot figure
out who is using the address at any given time."

I suspect that Mike Sauve (msauve at alientech.net) is upset with the
RBL and DUL because some of his mail was rejected.  I cannot find any
evidence that he has sent unsolicited bulk commecial email, although
some of his public statements about the definition of "spam" have been
a little unusual.  Perhaps he tried to run a commercial site on
"residential" IP addresses and blames MAPS instead of the ISP that
labelled those addresses.

Note:
  - The DUL was largely populated with declarations by the owners of
   the IP addresses in question.

  - The IP address owners are ISPs, not the end users renting them,
   at least if they're not SWIPed.

  - I've always considered "dynamic" declarations by ISPs as implying
   that the ISP is a slumlord uninterested in tracking abuse by its
   users.  Contrary to years of knowingly false statements from such
   as UUNET, anyone with standing to contribute to this list knows
   that figuring out which modem, DSL port, or cable modem port was
   using a block of "dynamic" IP addresses at any given instant requires
   only the will to maintain and consult RADIUS or other logs.