Re: Visa for South Korea

2004-01-12 10:27:31
I'd be interested in answers people get from other consulate/embassy
staff both from locations other than Boston and with different
phrasings of the question.

Well, I finally was able to talk to someone at the Washington, DC, embassy.

Their answer?  "We're not sure, but you might need one".

I basically took the same tactic that Sam took; I described the IETF as
a professional organization, and explained I was attending a meeting
of this organization.  At first he said that a visa was not required,
because this counts as a "visit", but then he said he wasn't sure, and
maybe I would need a visa.

I then started asking a few more questions.  I asked what exactly
"business" travel was defined as, and after going around a few times
about it, he basically settled on the definition that if you were
travelling to Korea to a meeting for a "business purpose", then you
need a visa.

The whole thing was as clear as mud, and he clearly wasn't that familiar
with the regulations.  I might try calling a few more consulates to
see if I can find someone more knowledgeable.

BTW, has anyone been able to contact the host web site?  (The one
linked off of the IETF Seoul meeting web page)

http://www.tta.or.kr/ietf59/index.htm

I've been trying for a few days now and no go.  It doesn't seem like
a local network problem from where I'm sitting, but sometimes it's hard
to be sure.

--Ken