Re: Visa for South Korea

2004-01-13 09:51:48
"Ken" == Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)cmf(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil>
writes:

    >>> What I'm really looking for is some form of official
    >>> government communication on the subject (unless of course the
    >>> hosts are the ones who are manning the passport control desks
    >>> at the airport).
    >>>
    >> So call the nearest Korean consulate/embassy.  Answering this
    >> kind of question is part of their job.

    Ken> I actually already had put a call in to them; the relevant
    Ken> person was out of the office, but I left a message.  We'll
    Ken> see what they say.

I did as well and here is what I got.

The phone was answered.  I asked to speak to someone about Visa
information.  I was transferred to someone who answered in Korean; I
did not understand the greeting.

"Hi.  I'm an American citizen traveling to Seoul in late February to
attend a meeting of a professional society.  Do I need a visa?"

She asked again for my citizenship and then said that I did not need a
visa.

I chose to describe IETF as a professional society because saying
standards development organization when referring to something
non-ISO-based might confuse a government official.  Similarly, I was
concerned that conference might map to academic conference.

I'd be interested in answers people get from other consulate/embassy
staff both from locations other than Boston and with different
phrasings of the question.