Re: dire outlook on internet and NAT

2004-01-12 17:36:36
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:29:02 -0800
Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Interesting reading: some have been asking what the cost of
moving from a peer-to-peer to a service/consumer model are, in
terms of applications deployed and the ability to build more
robust business models. Many ISPs are thinking in terms of VoIP
as a next generation business, the one after "selling
bandwidth". But there are issues with that as well...

      http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/eol/

John's articles were part of the motivation for my question as to
whether IPv4 (and IPv4 NAT) would be formally deprecated when
IPv6 was"ready", which I asked a few months ago on the IPv6 ML.

For those interested in reading or reviewing the ensuing
discussion, here is a URL.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ipng&m=106614091529296&w=2

Admittedly I can't remember where I read it, but I've come across
a suggestion that enterprise networks adopting IPv6 is likely to
happen before ISPs provide it in any big way, as enterprise
networks have more to gain from the technology (well, possibly,
assuming they can be convinced that "proper" address space is
better than NAT). Once enterprises have it, they will then ask
for it from their ISP. I'd agree that expecting the drive for it
to come from ISPs is probably incorrect.

Maybe the focus needs to be to work on IPv6 protocols that
enterprises need. Anybody want to work on NetBIOS over IPv6 ?
After all, File and Print would have to be the "killer"
application for enterprise networks - it's the application that
 got networks into most enterprises in the first place in
the last 10 years.

Regards,
Mark.