RE: dire outlook on internet and NAT

2004-01-13 06:34:55

Admittedly I can't remember where I read it, but I've come across
a suggestion that enterprise networks adopting IPv6 is likely to
happen before ISPs provide it in any big way, as enterprise
networks have more to gain from the technology (well, possibly,
assuming they can be convinced that "proper" address space is
better than NAT).

=> I'm a bit confused as to why enterprises would be interested
in v6. There are even prorietry solutions that allow for VPN
access behind a NAT. And enterprises are not known for encouraging
p2p apps for their employees. So this business case doesn't
seem like a winner to me.

My hope has been that p2p apps will one day be "needed now" and
force people to turn v6 on in their networks.

   Once enterprises have it, they will then ask
for it from their ISP.

=> Sure, but it's not clear that they'd be early adopters.
Autoconfig of addresses will not be enough, if they ever use it.

Hesham

I'd agree that expecting the drive for it
to come from ISPs is probably incorrect.

Maybe the focus needs to be to work on IPv6 protocols that
enterprises need. Anybody want to work on NetBIOS over IPv6 ?
After all, File and Print would have to be the "killer"
application for enterprise networks - it's the application that
 got networks into most enterprises in the first place in
the last 10 years.

Regards,
Mark.