visa or no

2004-02-01 19:58:58
% > as far as I can tell, every time they have been asked the question,
% > and it has been clear that the IETF is not a profit-making operation,
% > they have said "no visa".
%
% There was an APNIC meeting in Korea last summer. Maybe APNIC and/or
% attendees can share their visa experiences?

        I did not need a visa to attend the APNIC mtg last year.
        that said, there has been -public- admission that IETF
        attendees conduct business during the IETF mtgs.  If
        I were a Korean offical who either monitored this list or
        was informed (however incorrectly) that the IETF was, by
        the admission of its attendees, a business conference, I
        might insist on visas for folks who indicate that they are
        entering Korea to attend the IETF.

        as for me, I understand that spring is a fine time to visit
        Korea, with many interesting things to see and do. Good
        shopping. Friends I've not seen for a while.  A visit would be
        in order.

--bill