Re: Death of the Internet - details at 11

2004-02-01 21:39:56
Randall,

Let's see.  I get a CIDR network address from one provider.  I get
another from another.  I can have my BGP announce both of them all the
time or one of them at a time.  I guess I do not see the horrible
scaling problem.

RRSh> The scaling problem shows up when you tell the provider of ISP-1
RRSh> to announce a route for the other address... this effectively
RRSh> becomes a "host route" being advertised....

Why would the provider of ISP-1 need to announce a route for the other
address?

And, of course, my own answer is that they would not need
to do this.  The entire point behind having multiple A record
addresses to the same host is so that each address is advertised by
the ISP that assigns it, thereby permitting normal cidr aggregation.

There's an I-D that just came out about this topic
(draft-huitema-multi6-hosts).  It also discusses issues raised by this
approach.

RRSh> But of course the whole point is that we don't need this.. at least
RRSh> not with SCTP

There is a small matter of getting 500 million hosts to convert to
SCTP and then to convert all Internet applications over to it.

So, some additional techniques might be helpful.

For what it's worth, SCTP certainly provided the template for the MAST
proposal and, I would say, exemplifies the control and security model
that is used by several of the candidates.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>