Re: power in Korea..

2004-02-26 00:24:18

Matt Holdrege wrote:

I am shocked that the IETF didn't rewire downtown Seoul to accommodate our conference! The next thing we'll hear is that our TDMA phones won't work. Or that they don't have TGI Friday's within easy walking distance. :-)

About phones:

You can use a tri-mode CDMA USA phone (e.g., my Verizon v60i), though:

        a) I needed to update the firmware at the local store.
        beware:
                1. they will tell you this is fruitless, and that
                everywhere overseas is GSM (it isn't)

                2. you may need to recode the ID number (PRL?)
                (in verizon-speak, dial *228 and recode roaming)

                3. the account has to be setup for international roaming

In Korea, to dial the US, I was told you dial:

        00700 (international number)

        e.g.,
                00700 310 555 1212

(I'm sending this long-ish summary since Verizon left it off their international traveler web pages, and it took a few days to decode ;-)

Joe