Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-01 02:07:12
[smtp] is what the world uses today and will continue to use for quite
some time.  reports of its death are just a tad premature.

When folks agree on the new mail transfer services that we need and
when we try to add them to smtp and fail, THEN we can have productive
discussions about a replacement transfer protocol.

well, except that that's not how dns was created, or http, or html, or
nntp, or xml, or rpc/xdr/nfs, or sip, or pgp, or jabber.  i guess that's
how a lot of people now think it should be done, but the counterexamples
are extensive, and so i'm not convinced that smtp will be replaced under
precisely the conditions you describe.

until then, calls for a new protocol ... constitute firing before aiming.

i guess we'll all see how it turns out.

And everyone else needs to move from the generic reference to
"consent" on to something that is more concrete, as well as being
integrated into a full range of human uses for email.

i'm pretty comfortable with www.dictionary.com's definition of "consent".