Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-02 21:41:01
John, your summary distils a lot of hard work but is deeply troubling,
because it is constructed entirely on a "make the victims pay"
foundation.  As long as that is your stance, then sure it is so that
"Spam . . . will remain a long-term battleground".   However it is
just NOT so if the community will change its stance to that which
society uses (successfully) in every other area of human interaction
beside the internet: make the perpetrator pay.    A number of us have
given this a lot of thought to come up with a practical solution which
requires no new technology and no new legislation.   It has been
proven to work within hours.

Those interested may view an interim document (comments welcome) at

 <http://www.camblab.com/misc/univ_std.txt>

   based on

 <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/spam_03.pdf>

I grind my teeth every time I read a summary like yours because while
the lemmas are true, the conclusions are contrary to reality and
contrary to everything known about human behavior.

Jeffrey Race